Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint 8 + Network = Oops...

 

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 09:43:41PM -0500, J wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 19:51, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Now that I know what Mint is, is there a system-config-* toolset for
> Ubuntu? As far as I knew, that was a Fedora/Red Hat creation, so
> getting an installable for Ubuntu may be ... fun... unless there is
> one. Honestly, I've never looked for my Ubuntu based systems since I
> do all that stuff via the only config tool you need: vi ;-)

Yeah, I was surprised to read that too.

>
> However, samba-swat is a good web-accessible GUI tool for SMB
> config... though honestly, with a little learning curve, the default
> SMB config (at least the one that came with most SuSE and Red
> Hat/Fedora systems) was pretty well documented, at least for basic to
> moderate configs. The more advanced/obscure configs require a bit of
> knowledge though...

I've never been a big swat fan. So often, GUIs get in the way--I see
that all the time on Fedora forums, noticing all the issues people have
that I don't have, because I've come to prefer command line
tools. For me, the fun part of Linux, and the thing that actually
brought me there (I started my career as an MCSE), was working with the
text files.

It's not that hard. I have a (VERY dated) article on Samba, that might
even have a few relevant points, at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/samba.html

Of course, what's hard is what you don't feel like doing. I always
start saying bad words to myself when working with printers, but find it
fun to google for an hour to find the one line I have to put in my mutt
configuration file to do something new.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Xander: The band, yeah. They're great. They march.
Willow: Like an army. Except with music, instead of bullets, and
usually no one dies.

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment