Saturday, December 26, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] suse wireless 11.0 help

 

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 04:53:16AM -0000, Tony wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have installed suse 11.0 in a dell inspiron 1150. It dual boots with winXP. Wireless works fine with Windows.
>
> Problem is that under Linux, the card is able to pick up the correct static IP and communicate with other nodes on the local private network. The problem is that I cannot get out to the Internet even though I can connect to and ping the router.
>

Can you ping 4.2.2.2? If that's the case, the card can reach the
Internet, it simply can't resolve names, meaning it's a DNS issue.

> Is there a command that shows me the IP configuration similar to windows ipconfig command? I tried iwconfig and ifconfig but they do not show the dns and gateway settings. Either of which would account for not being able to see the internet.

To see the gateway the command

route -n

will give output that should include the gateway. Usually the third
line will have something like

0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

The 0.0.0.0 refers to default routing. The command netstat -r will also
work, producing similar output.

To see the DNS servers, look for something like /etc/resolv.conf.

Mine looks something like

search scottro.net
domain scottro.net
nameserver 192.168.1.115
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 208.67.222.222

The nameserver lines are the DNS servers. (The last one is opendns, a
server that often works better than my own ISP's servers, the others are
my internal DNS server and my router.)

This file can be configured manually.

>
> YAST config tool shows the correct wireless card settings. Is there anyway to start the network config from scratch?

I'm not familiar with SuSE. However, in Fedora, often the problem isn't
the network, it's the configuration tool, that is the graphic interface,
that doesn't work properly. I have a page on testing it in Fedora,
taking the GUI interface out of the equation--I have no idea if it will
help with SuSE or not.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/wireless.html
>
> I also noticed that from the wireless network applet in the task bar, I cannot erase wireless networks that are presently setup. They seem to be protected. Is there some way to unprotect them?
>

You mean your own wireless network, or those that are available in the
area? Assuming you mean your own that you've set up, this depends, I
assume, upon which Desktop you're using, Gnome, KDE, or something else.
(I can't help either way as I don't use the graphic tools). :)

> Finally I noticed that I can only gain access to the network apps in the command line (iwconfig, ifconfig) when logged in as root. How can I grant access to a regular user (me) when logged in?

That is probably a path issue. RH, and some others, do it the same way,
hiding all the /sbin and /usr/sbin files from normal users. I have
another page on that at

http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/rhpath.html

To give a regular user access to simply viewing, you will change your
$PATH variable (explained in the link above). That article also has a
link to a page on sudo, which will explain how to give other users
power to alter, rather than just view, such settings.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Anya: Men like sports. I'm sure of it.
Xander: Yes. Men like sports. Men watch the action movie, they
eat of the beef, and they enjoy to look at the bosoms. A thousand
years of avenging our wrongs, and that's all you've learned?

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment