Wednesday, December 30, 2009

[nslu2-linux] Java 5 (for Subsonic) on unslung 6.10

 

Hello.  I've currently got an NSLU2 running unslung 6.10, along with a nice server-side (MPD) PHP-based music proggy (relaxx player - very nice!).  I'd like to play around with another music server called Subsonic (http://subsonic.sourceforge.net), which has a sweet client for Android phones.  The installation apparently requires Java 5 (http://subsonic.sourceforge.net/installation.php).

I searched older posts to this group, and saw that at least one user asked if this community had any experience with running Subsonic.  Ultimately s/he was directed toward other music server alternatives.

So, the questions:

- Has anyone successfully gotten Subsonic running on the Slug?  If so, could you provide guidance for replication?  If not, are there obvious technical reasons why I shouldn't bother attempting?  (Perhaps system requirements?)

- Assuming no one has tried running Subsonic, is it possible to install Java 5 on the Slug?  I searched the wiki, and found this (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseJavaOnTheSlug) but the instructions are a bit intimidating (compared to other Slug "recipes" I've found), and clearly intended for a more advanced user than I.  It was unclear to me what version of Java those instructions were for... it also involved compiling binaries, which I have zero experience with, and would prefer to avoid, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment