Thursday, March 25, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
...Errm, no, I can't, the pictures dissolve into me
> lying bloodied on the floor.
>
Wellllllllll, my guy-friend has too many of his own irons in the fire, which makes me appreciate this yahoo group even more. I had done a few web searches "firefox updates for linux" and basically found other linux users sitting around with unanswered questions similar to mine. Glad you all are here. Really glad.

>
> In fairness to Acer, I think they thought it was a good idea at the
> time. 18 months ago, netbooks were relatively new, though that price
> sounds high for that one. There was still a lot of experimentation
> going on amongst the manufacturers. I know, because at the time, I
> researched pretty carefully.

No doubt. And actually, my thinking the netbook would run without a hitch for five or ten years was unrealistic. (Welcome to reality!)

>
> If you've determined it's expendable, then I would definitely first go
> the route of trying to install Ubuntu. Let it do the whole drive, and
> when done, you can do the updates, and just leave it alone for the day.

So, you're saying put Ubuntu on this existing netbook? Instead of Linux puppy?

>
>
> As for another one--if you're still liking netbooks, I think I'd
> recommend the Asus 1000HE if you can still find it. Seems as if they've
> discontinued it in favor of the 1005 and 1008, though. ...
> I recommend the Asus models because their probably the most popular, and
> in my humble opinion, have the best keyboards. It will come with
> Windows, but if you're willing to take the plunge, you can easily
> install Linux--with both the 1000HE and the 1005HA that I have, I never
> booted into Windows--started it from a USB stick and installed Linux.

So, were I to do this, I would buy an Asus, 1000HE or 1005 or 1008, from where? Amazon.com? And then use a different system to download Linux to a USB, correct? Um, which Linux?

> ...
> Actually, they've improved a great deal since then--remember, it was
> their first attempt, and they've learned. However, I still think Asus
> has the better machines.
>

Thanks again, I'll check in first thing Friday morning.
Sharon

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment