Sunday, March 28, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Sony Vaio C1XD linux install??

If the drive is present in the BIOS then it will work. Linux does not need
external drivers.

An alternative is to install from a usb key or SD card. All you need is 1
GB. You use a utility called Unetbootin which has both Linux and Windows
versions. Make sure the key is empty and inserted before you open
Unetbootin. The programme will even download an ISO for you or if you have
one downloaded already then it can use that too. You point the programme to
the ISO file and the usb key and it makes a bootable usb key in five minutes
or less. You need to be able to boot from usb to take advantage of this, but
it works nicely. I use it all of the time. It does not work with all
distros, but it works with most. If you use an SD card then you need a boot
manager that can select the SD card as a bootable device. My HP desktop and
ASUS netboot both have the ESC key as opening the boot manager.

Roy

On 27 March 2010 11:12, Lee <leo1949uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>
>
>
> Hi, I`m a newb to linux.
>
> I have a Sony Vaio 9" netbook which had win 95 installed so I formatted
> the hard drive to install XP!! but now I find I can`t use the CD drive
> because I also wiped the CD driver :-/
>
> So ... until I can acquire a Sony drivers disk I thought I would have a
> play with linux ... but, as I mentioned, the CD drive isn`t functioning.
>
> Is it possible to install linux from floppies? - that works in dos even
> tho it uses a usb port!
>
> Regards.
>
> Lee.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment