Saturday, March 27, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Sony Vaio C1XD linux install??

 

See below

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <leo1949uk@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi, I`m a newb to linux.
>
> I have a Sony Vaio 9" netbook which had win 95 installed so I formatted
> the hard drive to install XP!! but now I find I can`t use the CD drive because I also wiped the CD driver :-/
>
> So ... until I can acquire a Sony drivers disk I thought I would have a
> play with linux ... but, as I mentioned, the CD drive isn`t functioning.
>
> Is it possible to install linux from floppies? - that works in dos even
> tho it uses a usb port!
>
> Regards.
>
> Lee.
>

First, if the Sony depends on drivers to recognize the CD, you might
have a lot of problems. This can be caused by three issues. (1) It
is a Windoze problem having nothing to do with the hardware. If this
is the case, you should be able to go to Sony's site, download, and
install the driver for XP. I also remember how crappy Sony is for
support so this might be very trying. (2) The CD drive itself is
not bootable. (3) The Sony cannot boot from ANY USB device.

You might take a look at http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickref/install/media.html.

Anyway, you can help us with some information:

Model Number:
Amount of Memory:
Size and Type of "Hard Drive:
Can the Device Boot from CD:
Can the Sony Boot from USB: (this sounds like a yes since you say
your Floppy drive is USB)
Do you know how to get into the BIOS setup on the machine:

I might have forgotten something, but I am sure others will chime in.
If this thing came originally with Win 95, I don't have a great deal
of hope. That would put it in the late 90's time frame which could
be a problem for using it at all. If it can start from USB but not
the CD you have, you MAY be able to start it from a USB Thumb drive.
If you can, the world is your limit, assuming you have another machine
you can use to build the USB drives. Let us know about the info
above, please.

Thanks,
Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment