Friday, March 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

sharonbluebird wrote:

> My guy-friend actually ordered the netbook for me from Tiger direct
> about 18 mos. ago. He has not had the time to help me address the
> fact that Firefox 2.0 is no longer supported and I assume any day now
> I'll be up the crick without a paddle if I don't migrate NOW.
>

'Unsupported' does not mean 'unusable'.

Firefox 2.0 is not going to stop running, or stop being a functioning
browser, just because support stops for it... it is just going to stop
receiving updates.

I ran versions of Firefox, Mozilla and Opera that were all way past
their support dates, and nothing bad happened, even when I was visiting
websites that were definitely infected with malware (it was all malware
aimed at Windows browsers, so it didn't affect my ancient Linux browsers).

Remain calm.

So far, I do not think anyone has actually addressed whether or not your
operating system actually has a repository (like yum or apt-get) or
not... if it *does* have a repository, then there is a high probability
that you have the ability to install/upgrade your software... including
browsers.

> Anyway, all the communication with you folks at LINUX_newbies has
> taught me that to Acer, $390 of my money was not enough for them to
> have respect for me, I feel as if they view this netbook with about
> as much respect as they would give a tracfone that they expect me to
> toss in the trash or donate to a recycle place after a short amount
> of time.
>
> And then they expect I'll cough up four hundred bucks for another
> one.
>
> Helloooo ???
>
> No thanks.
>

In my experience, both Linux, and the general field of computing are
learning experiences.

Up to this point, you have been 'using' Linux, but probably not actually
'studying' Linux... treating it much like a Windows Operating System,
but with a slightly different Graphical Interface.

When I first began using Linux, back in 2000, I set up my computer in
'dual boot' mode, so that I could boot into either Windows 2000, or
Linux Red Hat. I had all of my data saved to a shared hard drive, so
that I could work on the same data in either Operating System. Tat way,
when I really had to get things done, I could use Windows, and when I
was in 'learning Linux' mode, I could attack the same chores, using Linux.

Now that you have stumbled into a small community of Linux users, you
have the opportunity to pursue the study of the Operating System, and
the applications that are included in whatever distributions you choose
to focus on, in-depth.

In the Linux community, the general rule is, that it is better to teach
people how to fish, than it is to just give them a fish, all cooked and
ready to eat.

If you have the will and desire to become a Linux User, you have come to
the right place... we will teach you to fish, in the Sea of Linux.

Looking back over the last 10 years, that I have been studying Linux, I
realise that most of what I have learned was learned a tiny bit here and
a tiny bit there... not like a course in a university, but rather by
reading posts on various lists like this one, and trying things
mentioned in those posts, myself, and when I messed up, posting exactly
what I tried to do, and having other listmembers, generous with their
time, explain where I went wrong.

I also got into building my own computers from scratch, which permitted
me to learn how to fend for myself in the hardware area, as well as I
was fending for myself in the software area.

Here are a few links you might find interesting... what a person can do
to improve their computing skills to the point where they can actually
become a paid professional in the field, by investing just a little bit
of time learning about 'new stuff', every day.

Essay... the building of my first computer from scratch. Incidentally,
the computer featured in the article is still up and running, with a few
recent minor upgrades... it is the computer I am typing this on, now.

http://robertwittig.com/paper70.html

Attic workshop... I have a commercial DSL line and 5 static IP
addresses, so I host my websites, and a short list of other websites,
mail services, etc., in house, on computers I built myself.

http://robertwittig.net/workshop.html

My Home Office (as opposed to my Work Office), where I actually wind up
doing a lot of after-hours work for my job. Notice the watercolour
easel, fitted nicely in with the computers. While the paint is drying, I
can spin my seat around, and get stuff done on the computer.

http://robertwittig.com/Workshop/index.html

My point in posting this, is not to impress you with my progress (well,
maybe a little bit :)), but more important, to inspire you.

If I can do it, you can do it... with a little help from the generous
members of the Linux community.

- --
- -wittig
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBS6ynIv9qkhAVPSgqAQI6BwgAorbNuSUn9HcX6R9PuPXh3l7vPpirWksv
Ha6NqheenYncD4BSPSLETgoDgRgdWjjzg8qXZppJObQzgTrusAPAqfXY0o/V9QX+
f4VcoNnFd90kuIAIvz9k+A25u8r/fhrGROZzzfMwSaLGy1NstNTIw4M88LGvlCJq
ciEBp9g9XtYbuuP+4L+OBRB5GAXyywBhXQeXH4C24sJ3Sdi1r8jLYeMNaVEmSwoy
uc9cqmhS5A05hboEsZ3SWhnKrGX/EKHQfyRAWj3er9anBdaJfh/7pHCT6KDT10aH
SyQycg6AiJBwH5rvi1KkLTTxuJ+qREYzRmcuGXSETL3ljSWklQeJvg==
=UhTY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment