Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Firefox update ???

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Roy wrote:

> Where do you stand now? Do you prefer the pre-built convenience or the hands
> on approach?
>

Some of both.

Because I got into Linux before there were things like dependency
tracking and repositories, I am now pretty good at that stuff, but now
that I have experienced using yum, I would have to be a fool *not* to
use it.

I also work with OpenBSD, which is considerably more 'techie-oriented'
than most Linux distros, but does have an excellent 'ports tree', to
make life easier.

'Easier' is good, as long as one understands the mechanics that
underlies 'easier'.

Repositories and other tools that make computing more efficient are
great, but most of those kind of tools will not be very helpful, if you
have to troubleshoot problems, write things like PF firewall rulesets,
and write configuration files for the apps, once they have been quickly
and easily installed, using yum.

I will use whichever tool set works best, in a given situation.

> My comments were for newbies, who had best stick to the repositories until
> they develop skills and confidence. From there the sky is the limit!
>
> Roy
>

Yeah, I remember when I was a newbie... sometimes I feel like I am
*still* a newbie, with ten years under my belt. :)

- --
- -wittig
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with CentOS - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEVAwUBS6u9+P9qkhAVPSgqAQJ4FwgAle3pezTZgUz4dfpwa6VkI9ND56Wt6EKd
QDdDZPFIhO9Z2uQ/uZyvQlVu4LMFFNkvc2/0TBgH94N04umIhOsodNQOe+zmnJWs
BWXRAgjH6w64TxC0wjIHJg0HrgwrC7oLFlsuDfc0jQ0LCKikQcyUaSeYw7niczx6
ibcC0+PyxFXe+essAdbD6tLfwWN6ImIrFRn5YFHFkvhHbTcWuzQbfe5alwooXAUp
Yiphv9Re8K63niUzeYTwyVDP81+cgIPBhz8vHME1vWtktEaJ08Qg6nl0bhhn/fc8
VxdXizUBEXMzScPULJkpqRTC9mvDeEMq9FUPf/R6HOTv5ugjs80/Jg==
=uVw6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment