Thursday, March 25, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> You've given us the information we needed. You have the Aspire One with
> an 8GB SSD drive that runs Linpus.
>
> Now, the next question--are you wiling to install something else that
> will be somewhat different?
>

Yes! I will probably have lots-o-questions, but definitely am willing to try something different.

> As far as apologies, perhaps all of us should apologize for having taken
> your thread so far off target, and hopefully, you forgive us. Those who
> are willing to learn are never wasting our time, and I believe, in this
> case, that I can speak for all of us who have answered so far.
>

I have enjoyed reading the posts and the sense of comraderie. I actually had answered pretty early Thursday morning but I am so new that my post had to be approved by a moderator before it showed up. I wasn't put off at all.

>
> Now, my opinion is that you might try puppy Linux. You can install it
> to a USB stick and run it from said USB stick. You can try before
> installing, it will run as a live system, meaning, just running from the
> USB.

OK, puppy Linux. Installed to a USB stick. So, where do I buy it? At Best Buy? Sam's Club? Or online? Uh, how does one install it to a USB stick? Do I need to buy a new USB stick for this? If so, how big?

>
> The reason I recommend this, unless Jeff, who has connections at Ubuntu,
> can suggest something else, is because I had a machine like yours. The
> trouble with installing Ubuntu is that it will take a very long time,
> literally hours, to update, because the majority of the drives like the
> one you have have a very slow write speed. By long time, I mean
> literally 3-4 hours. On the other hand, if you don't mind that, Ubuntu
> would be an excellent choice.
>

I have a crazy schedule and don't often have more than a couple hours of uninterrupted time, so the three or four hour download would be a problem for me.

> Does any of this sound like a reasonable plan to you? The trouble is
> that Linpus is really a difficult to use and update system. You *might*
> be able to get some help on the aspire one forums at
> http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/
>
> However, I think that even there, most people now have different
> machines.
>

I think it's time to ditch Linpus.

> Let us know what you think, and thanks for explaining your situation--we
> were afraid we'd scared you off with our digressions.
>

Again, I'm glad to be here, all of you have been so helpful and friendly, thanks tons.

I'll check in at least a couple times on Friday.

Sharon

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment