Friday, March 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 21:52, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> No need to apologize--probably all of us, with the possible exception of
> Jeff, have posted something inaccurate from time to time.  :)

I seriously doubt that :-) I'd give that title to Godwin, personally...

> As far as apologies, perhaps all of us should apologize for having taken
> your thread so far off target, and hopefully, you forgive us.  Those who
> are willing to learn are never wasting our time, and I believe, in this
> case, that I can speak for all of us who have answered so far.

Nah... we didn't really derail it... and I imagine that she's
probably learned far more than she ever would have had we just stuck
with Step 1: do this, Step 2: do that.

Besides, no sense in apologising for the nature of groups like this...
That's like Vampires apologising for exploding in the sunlight
instead of just sparkling like those fake vampires in that horrible
abortion of a book series ;-)

> The reason I recommend this, unless Jeff, who has connections at Ubuntu,
> can suggest something else, is because I had a machine like yours.  The
> trouble with installing Ubuntu is that it will take a very long time,
> literally hours, to update, because the majority of the drives like the
> one you have have a very slow write speed.  By long time, I mean
> literally 3-4 hours.  On the other hand, if you don't mind that, Ubuntu
> would be an excellent choice.

Like I mentioned in my really long reply, I've not really looked at
Puppy in ages, so I can't really say anything about that, beyond I
still would suggest Ubuntu to any new user today... but I think she'd
be a LOT better off replacing that SSD with something else...
(assuming that it is, in fact, replaceable, like the other netbooks
that have SSDs)

When I first started looking at netbooks back when they first came
out, the small SSDs were the biggest reason I did not buy one then.
They're too small, too slow and too quick to die. The newer SSDs out
now are FAR better, and I'd seriously consider one of them now, but
not then...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment