Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Firefox update ???

 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 01:18:18PM -0400, J wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:40, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Where do you stand now? Do you prefer the pre-built convenience or the hands
> > on approach?
> >
> > My comments were for newbies, who had best stick to the repositories until
> > they develop skills and confidence. From there the sky is the limit!
>
> And they were good comments too :)

+1, but Roy knows I'm a fan of his.

>
> For me, I only build things when I have to. I used to build
> everything, but then again, when I started, like a lot of us, package
> management meant putting the tarball in the right place and
> ./configure && make && make install :-)

>
> I've gotten lazy in my old age though, so I prefer pre-packaged
> binaries... and now-a-days, apt or synaptic so I don't even have to do
> dependency tracking.
>

Yup--I'm even on the #!Crunchbang Linux forums somewhere, saying that I
feel it's almost an ArchLinux for busy people.

Now, if they would only get their documentation in order--I've been
working three hours now, well, 2-1/2, getting jailkit working with
Apache. In contrast, FreeBSD's jail was easy--the difference was
completely in the documentation.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Faith: You can't trust guys.
Buffy: You can trust some guys. Really, I've read about them.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment