Monday, March 29, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] Lifecycle when booting (only using) USB thumb drive.

 

Thanks for all replies.
I guess I can stop worrying about this.

Brg
 Emil

Brian Wood wrote:

 

On Monday 29 March 2010 12:38:26 pm Emil Granström wrote:
> Hello. I am a newbie here using the slug.
> I will be using the slug for temp meassurements using OWFS in our
> cottage, I will generate graphs and alarms for critical temps.
> I will be runing the slug from a 4GB USB thumbdrive. To reduce the
> access of the disk I have done the "touch /.ext3flash" command.
>
> I assume this question is a bit hard to comment on but can anyone give
> me a hint on what to expect when it comes to the lifecycle of the USB
> drive ?
> If the slug is on 24-7 how long can it be before I can expect problems ?
> Are we talking week, months, years or what ?
> I hope someone with a bit more handson experience can comment or share
> some insights.

I have a slug that's been running Debian from a flash drive for almost 3 years,
no problems yet.

I did set noatime, and I use almost no swap.

It's not doing any heavy lifting, but it's been running 24/7.

Not that this guarantees anything, just a datapoint.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment