Friday, March 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:37:28AM -0400, J wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 09:26, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
> This is really why I still have Windows systems at all. There are
> just some things in Windows that Just Work. (Adobe Lightroom and GOOD
> RAW Image handling, for one). I do the experimental thing all day
> long. After work, in my free time, the last thing I want to do
> anymore is hack more things to make them work. When I'm not working,
> I want things to just work, so I can be productive doing OTHER
> things...

My main thing is that I worry about malware--having to deal with what
the users get from time to time. I'm afraid to go to a website in
Windows.
>
> This has, IMHO, been THE major stumbling block for Linux in the
> general marketplace. It's only now being addressed properly, really
> (now being within the last 2 - 3 years or so), but to get those other
> 90% of users, things have to Just Work.

Yuppers--Too much of what I once saw described as, Do the developers USE
the stuff they've created?

>
> It's these little things that will win people over, I guess... For an
> over-priced Niche market system, Apple does a really good job. Better
> than most others, IMHO...

Although for the netbook, which she only uses while away, I gave my wife
Linux, for her main system, we settled on Mac. Why? I don't want to do
Linux tech support at home, I have enough issues at work, and with my
own machines. Granted, I'm frequently experimenting with my own
machines as well, because, for some reason, being in the field hasn't
made me hate them--it takes research to get pysol working properly on
CentOS, and that's important to me. :)

I also didn't want to worry about viruses--my wife is trusting and will
click on things without taking proper precautions--so, I figured the
extra cost of the Mac would be worth it in the long run.

And yes, most of the time, it Just Works, for just about everything she
wants. She has recently found that there are many Japanese shows on
Veoh, and on the Mac it was click, click, you're done.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Buffy: I don't wanna' bug Giles. He's still kinda' twitchy
when it comes to the subject of Angel.

Xander: Oh, it must be that whole 'Angel killed his girlfriend and
tortured him' thing, and Giles is petty when it comes to stuff like
that.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment