Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 01:16:51PM -0000, sharonbluebird wrote:
> If I posted anything inaccurate, or left out any pertinent info, I apologize. It almost feels as if I am speaking a foreign language to discuss this, and I appreciate all of you helping me. I will try again to say what this netbook is:
>

No need to apologize--probably all of us, with the possible exception of
Jeff, have posted something inaccurate from time to time. :)

You've given us the information we needed. You have the Aspire One with
an 8GB SSD drive that runs Linpus.

Now, the next question--are you wiling to install something else that
will be somewhat different?

As far as apologies, perhaps all of us should apologize for having taken
your thread so far off target, and hopefully, you forgive us. Those who
are willing to learn are never wasting our time, and I believe, in this
case, that I can speak for all of us who have answered so far.

Now, my opinion is that you might try puppy Linux. You can install it
to a USB stick and run it from said USB stick. You can try before
installing, it will run as a live system, meaning, just running from the
USB.

The reason I recommend this, unless Jeff, who has connections at Ubuntu,
can suggest something else, is because I had a machine like yours. The
trouble with installing Ubuntu is that it will take a very long time,
literally hours, to update, because the majority of the drives like the
one you have have a very slow write speed. By long time, I mean
literally 3-4 hours. On the other hand, if you don't mind that, Ubuntu
would be an excellent choice.

Does any of this sound like a reasonable plan to you? The trouble is
that Linpus is really a difficult to use and update system. You *might*
be able to get some help on the aspire one forums at
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/

However, I think that even there, most people now have different
machines.

Let us know what you think, and thanks for explaining your situation--we
were afraid we'd scared you off with our digressions.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Ford: What happened?
Spike: We're stuck in a basement.
Ford: Buffy?
Spike: She's not stuck in a basement.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment