Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] Lifecycle when booting (only using) USB thumb drive.

 

Thanks Mike,
Your use seems very much like mine. I am currently testing the Unslug build but I will certainly keep the SlugOS in mind.
I will connect mine to a Dovado UMR with a Tellstick so I can use the Slug to turn on heating if I need to.
RRDtool is doing some graphs and the Dovado UMR is suppling the internet connection via a mobile broadband connection.
/Emil


Mike Westerhof (mwester) wrote:

 

Emil Granström wrote:
> Hello. I am a newbie here using the slug.
> I will be using the slug for temp meassurements using OWFS in our
> cottage, I will generate graphs and alarms for critical temps.
> I will be runing the slug from a 4GB USB thumbdrive. To reduce the
> access of the disk I have done the "touch /.ext3flash" command.
>
> I assume this question is a bit hard to comment on but can anyone give
> me a hint on what to expect when it comes to the lifecycle of the USB
> drive ?
> If the slug is on 24-7 how long can it be before I can expect problems ?
> Are we talking week, months, years or what ?
> I hope someone with a bit more handson experience can comment or share
> some insights.
>

I have a slug installed at an old house I have been working to
refurbish. It uses a network of one-wire sensors to monitor temperature
inside, but more importantly it measures the temperature of a few water
pipes that are prone to freezing, and monitors the very old boiler to
alert me should it fail.

I use a 2 GByte flash drive -- the NSLU2 has been running without a
reboot or restart since early last fall.

By-the-way, I use SlugOS -- if you find Unslung to be too old and too
"non-linux" in nature, you might try installing SlugOS 5.3-beta and then
installing owfs from the "unstable" feeds.

-Mike (mwester)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Do More for Dogs Group. Connect with other dog owners who do more.


Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like you.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment