Saturday, March 27, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Sony Vaio C1XD linux install??

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
>
> See below
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <leo1949uk@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Hi, I`m a newb to linux.
> >
> > I have a Sony Vaio 9" netbook which had win 95 installed so I formatted
> > the hard drive to install XP!! but now I find I can`t use the CD drive because I also wiped the CD driver :-/
> >
> > So ... until I can acquire a Sony drivers disk I thought I would have a
> > play with linux ... but, as I mentioned, the CD drive isn`t functioning.
> >
> > Is it possible to install linux from floppies? - that works in dos even
> > tho it uses a usb port!
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Lee.
> >
>
> First, if the Sony depends on drivers to recognize the CD, you might
> have a lot of problems. This can be caused by three issues. (1) It
> is a Windoze problem having nothing to do with the hardware. If this
> is the case, you should be able to go to Sony's site, download, and
> install the driver for XP. I also remember how crappy Sony is for
> support so this might be very trying. (2) The CD drive itself is
> not bootable. (3) The Sony cannot boot from ANY USB device.
--------

As I mentioned in my OP, I have tried Sony site and d/loaded the
"boot disk" which does install the PCMCIA card for the CD drive, but
it does NOT install a driver ... it shows errors with the driver!
--------

> You might take a look at http://www.linuxmigration.com/quickref/install/media.html.
--------

Good site but nothing there that helps me, Thanks...
--------

> Anyway, you can help us with some information:
>
> Model Number:
--------

Sony PCG C1XD widescreen, 9" diagonal.
--------

> Amount of Memory:
--------

64Mbs (128mbs with upgrade)
--------

> Size and Type of "Hard Drive:
--------

80Gigs ata - even dos 6.2 reads it as such!
--------

> Can the Device Boot from CD:
--------

Yes - with a working driver installed in dos.
--------

> Can the Sony Boot from USB: (this sounds like a yes since you say
> your Floppy drive is USB)
--------

Yes!
--------

> Do you know how to get into the BIOS setup on the machine:
--------

Yes - F2! but the bios only gives me drive boot up options (A,C,D).
--------

> I might have forgotten something, but I am sure others will chime in.
> If this thing came originally with Win 95, I don't have a great deal
> of hope. That would put it in the late 90's time frame which could
> be a problem for using it at all. If it can start from USB but not
> the CD you have, you MAY be able to start it from a USB Thumb drive.
> If you can, the world is your limit, assuming you have another machine
> you can use to build the USB drives. Let us know about the info
> above, please.
---------

The usb port only recognises the floppy drive, without an operating
system and drivers being installed, of course.

The CD drive connects to the PC via a PCMCIA card and the boot floppy
will install a driver which is then seen by the bios but the CD
MSCDEX driver will not install correctly...

The pdf manual says Win95 OS but the PC has a works label on the
inside of the lid alongside the display saying XP and an XP serial
number sticker on the rear of the case alongside the model number
sticker, also, the processor is a pentium, so it must be one of the
latest, or top of the range, for that model... as I said, it ran
correctly until I decided to upgrade to XP (which for regular PCs,
is a doddle when the CD drive is built in).... ;o)

Regards.

Lee... with egg on face ...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment