Friday, March 26, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

Hi Sharon,

If it has the ability to boot from USB you could try a Live CD or USB flash drive without hurting the Linpus install.

Sorry I'm back...Yes, I liked Ubuntu, except when their new version upgrades would break my system because of mis-matched video or other hardware.  That's when I found Mint, but I still use Puppy to fix computers and because it's so fast.  Puppy is one of the few distros that let you remove the CD and insert another and it keeps running in RAM, haven't tried it with USB flash drives yet.  Barry, from Puppy wrote his file system to be friendly to those SSD drives.

Anyway, here's some info that might help:

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Manual-English.htm
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1548389242&t=48288

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
http://distrowatch.com/

On this last link, you can see that two advertisers have Ubuntu, Mint, EasyPeasy, and eeeBuntu flash drives for sale, which would save you some time perhaps.

Maybe this will come in handy later, a Puppy Command Reference Card:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=2019517420&t=46435

Welcome to learning Linux,
Joan in Reno

--- On Thu, 3/25/10, sharonbluebird <sharonbluebird@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: sharonbluebird <sharonbluebird@yahoo.com>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 11:19 AM

 

To All: thanks much for writing.

I guess my posts to the yahoo group are being delayed since I'm new.

My guy-friend actually ordered the netbook for me from Tiger direct about 18 mos. ago. He has not had the time to help me address the fact that Firefox 2.0 is no longer supported and I assume any day now I'll be up the crick without a paddle if I don't migrate NOW.

Anyway, all the communication with you folks at LINUX_newbies has taught me that to Acer, $390 of my money was not enough for them to have respect for me, I feel as if they view this netbook with about as much respect as they would give a tracfone that they expect me to toss in the trash or donate to a recycle place after a short amount of time.

And then they expect I'll cough up four hundred bucks for another one.

Helloooo ???

No thanks.

I'll check back after work this evening. If the best answer for me is that I'd best leave this alone and not try to make any changes for fear I'll crash it sooner than it's inevitable crash that I sense is headed my way, then I'll chalk this up to yet again learning something the hard way.

At that point my question will be, "what laptop do you all recommend?"

Thank you all again for your kindly assistance.

Sharon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment