Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 06:19:23PM -0000, sharonbluebird wrote:
>
>
>
> To All: thanks much for writing.
>
> I guess my posts to the yahoo group are being delayed since I'm new.
>
> My guy-friend actually ordered the netbook for me from Tiger direct about 18 mos. ago. He has not had the time to help me address the fact that Firefox 2.0 is no longer supported and I assume any day now I'll be up the crick without a paddle if I don't migrate NOW.
>

Heh, I can picture me trying that with my lovely, but somewhat short
tempered wife. :) Errm, no, I can't, the pictures dissolve into me
lying bloodied on the floor.

> Anyway, all the communication with you folks at LINUX_newbies has taught me that to Acer, $390 of my money was not enough for them to have respect for me, I feel as if they view this netbook with about as much respect as they would give a tracfone that they expect me to toss in the trash or donate to a recycle place after a short amount of time.
>

In fairness to Acer, I think they thought it was a good idea at the
time. 18 months ago, netbooks were relatively new, though that price
sounds high for that one. There was still a lot of experimentation
going on amongst the manufacturers. I know, because at the time, I
researched pretty carefully.

If you've determined it's expendable, then I would definitely first go
the route of trying to install Ubuntu. Let it do the whole drive, and
when done, you can do the updates, and just leave it alone for the day.

As for another one--if you're still liking netbooks, I think I'd
recommend the Asus 1000HE if you can still find it. Seems as if they've
discontinued it in favor of the 1005 and 1008, though. Both of those,
however, work well with Linux, to the point where I don't fear sending
my wife overseas with one. (Actually, she went overseas with the Aspire
One--but a different model, one with a normal hard drive). Of course,
while she's in Japan, the jack to the machine broke. Well, not my
fault, and I have a new Asus waiting when she gets back. But, once
again, I digress.

I recommend the Asus models because their probably the most popular, and
in my humble opinion, have the best keyboards. It will come with
Windows, but if you're willing to take the plunge, you can easily
install Linux--with both the 1000HE and the 1005HA that I have, I never
booted into Windows--started it from a USB stick and installed Linux.

> And then they expect I'll cough up four hundred bucks for another one.

Actually, they've improved a great deal since then--remember, it was
their first attempt, and they've learned. However, I still think Asus
has the better machines.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Oz: So, do you steal weapons from the Army often?
Willow: Well, we don't get cable, so we have to make our own fun.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment