Thursday, March 25, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Firefox update ???

 

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 06:12:22AM -0000, sharonbluebird wrote:
>

> Wellllllllll, my guy-friend has too many of his own irons in the fire, which makes me appreciate this yahoo group even more. I had done a few web searches "firefox updates for linux" and basically found other linux users sitting around with unanswered questions similar to mine. Glad you all are here. Really glad.
>

I'm surprised, actually, I would think the problem would be what you
might find here, too many opinions.

> >
> No doubt. And actually, my thinking the netbook would run without a hitch for five or ten years was unrealistic. (Welcome to reality!)

There's an old Cathy cartoon, where she's saying to the salesman (and
this was from the 90's, pre Win95, I think), I want a machine that won't
be obsolete by the time I get it home and unpacked. The salesman
answers, Ha ha, it will be obsolete by the time you put it in your car.
That's how it was with netbooks--I knew I should have waited, but
didn't.
>
> >
> > If you've determined it's expendable, then I would definitely first go
> > the route of trying to install Ubuntu. Let it do the whole drive, and
> > when done, you can do the updates, and just leave it alone for the day.
>
> So, you're saying put Ubuntu on this existing netbook? Instead of Linux puppy?
>

Either one. The thing with Ubuntu is that it will take a long time to
update, and during that time, while you could use the computer, it will
be faster if you don't--and it might take hours. You don't have to be
there, you can just start the update and leave.

Puppy would go right on a USB stick though, and there would be fewer
things to update. Conversely, Ubuntu, once installed, would probably be
easier for you to use.

> > discontinued it in favor of the 1005 and 1008, though. ...
> > I recommend the Asus models because their probably the most popular, and
> > in my humble opinion, have the best keyboards. It will come with
> > Windows, but if you're willing to take the plunge, you can easily
> > install Linux--with both the 1000HE and the 1005HA that I have, I never
> > booted into Windows--started it from a USB stick and installed Linux.
>
>
> So, were I to do this, I would buy an Asus, 1000HE or 1005 or 1008, from where? Amazon.com? And then use a different system to download Linux to a USB, correct? Um, which Linux?

Amazon had the A1005HA-M for less than $300 a week or so ago. If you
buy an extra 1GB memory, and can wait for shipping, I think the total
would have come to about $330. (That's not exact, of course.)

The tricky thing about the 1005HA is that there are various models, a B,
which I think is exclusive to BestBuy and actually the least
expensive--however, it only has a 3 hour battery life, and under Linux,
that might be less. (or more). The M, which is what I bought, is
reputed to have 8 hours or so, but in practice, usually more like 6
hours.

However, in this case, Amazon had better prices (at least for the
1005HA). The 1008HA is probably a little bit lighter, and you can't
change the battery--it's built in, so if there ever was a battery
problem, that's an issue.

As for which Linux, especially as you're not all that experienced with
it, I think most of us would recommend Ubuntu. It works out of the box
with the 1005HA, although I remember I had to do a little playing with
the microphone to get that to work with Skype.

The easiest way is to download to a USB stick. If you can find one at a
reasonable price, I'd recommend an 8 GB one, but a 4GB, or even a 2GB
should probably be enough for either puppy or Ubuntu.

The easiest way, at least with Ubuntu, is to use a program called
unetbootin, which you could run on your current Linpus installation or a
Windows machine. Some other distributions (don't know about puppy),
don't, however, work all that well with unetbootin.

Puppy probably has an image that can copied directly to a USB, but again
I'm not sure.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Jenny: You're here again? You kids really dig the library don't
you?
Buffy: We're literary.
Xander: To read makes our speaking English good.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment