Tuesday, October 4, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: recommended desktops ?

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "kele_hawaii" <kele.96720@...> wrote:
>
> You are most certainly correct! The monitor is the second most important thing in any computer setup and it is wise to invest in a top quality display.
>
> I just upgraded from an LCD backlit 22 inch monitor to a 24 inch ViewSonic that is LED backlit unit. I've owned Trinitron, AOC and ViewSonic displays back to the CRT days when the largest size was 14 inches and, WOW, what a difference today. The Sonys and ViewSonics were the best in those days and their three year, non-limited, factory replacement warranties never had to be used! I suspect that given the service life of LEDs over flourescent tubes, my new one will last longer than I do! :)
>
> Kele

LEDs have a long life before they're completely dead but I hear a lot of folks complaining about the LED light bulbs getting dim pretty quickly. I just hope the issue doesn't spill over into monitors.

But yeah I laugh when I hear about people that spent all kinds of money on a "fast" computer and they're squinting at a tiny screen or something trying to enjoy it. hehe Really when you're looking at a computer about all you're seeing is the screen!

Look how fast Linux can be made to run on even an old 1GHz P3

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2250/wedoct27bootchart.png

16 seconds is a boot time that Windows weenies could only dream about even on the fastest of PCs. That machine stock was 21 seconds. My i3 comes up in 5 seconds and a few thousandths stock. Needless to say I didn't even bother investing any time configuring it to improve its performance any. Though someday for laughs I just might :)

On that machine I have it set for a single click to launch applications and things are on the screen before the mouse button is completely released. I have to say it took a little getting used to.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment