Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Audible internet disconect sound?

 

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:53, grantrocket2 <mars_rover@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have a dodgy internet connection. Every couple of hours when I'm doing a big download, it will randomly turn off and lose connection.
> I need a sound to play on my computer to warn me that I have lost connection on ppp0 and it needs to be reset and re-connected.
> I did a few google searches and there doesen't seem to be anyone with a script for that.
> Linux mint 10
> Internet is a sprint wireless broadband modem.
> I would like the script to play a .wav or .mp3 of my choice.
> Can anyone help me design this? (I know very little C++ and even less VB)

Seems fairly trivial... this does what you want:

bladernr@klaatu:~$ while true; do
> [ `nmcli dev status |grep eth0|awk '{print $3'}` == "disconnected" ] && echo "LOST CONNECTION!" || echo "STILL CONNECTED"
> sleep 10s
> done

Of course, simply swap out the echo statements for something that
plays a wave or mp3 from cli and replace eth0 with ppp0 and you're
good to go. You said you don't know any C++ or VB though you won't be
using VB on a Linux box anyway... but I am assuming you know at least
basic shell scripting... if not, say something.

If that's all you want out of it, you could even lose the '|| echo
"STILL CONNECTED"' part of the code so it only does something if nmcli
says that the status is disconnected.

THAT, of course assumes a couple things:

A: you have nmcli installed (NetworkManager, which you may since
you're running Mint)
B: that nmcli will tell you about ppp0 (it SHOULD, but it's been a
long time since I've done any dial-up so this is untested).

To check b, to this while your ppp0 is connected:

nmcli dev status

and see what it says about your various network connections. You
should see something like this:

bladernr@klaatu:~$ nmcli dev
DEVICE TYPE STATE
eth0 802-3-ethernet connected
wlan0 802-11-wireless disconnected

As you can see, I'm currently running my GbE connection with wi-fi disconnected.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment