Saturday, October 29, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New features in 11.04

 

Hi Roy,
I've been using Linux for a couple of years almost exclusively and
off-and-on for since RH 4.2(don't remember the date exactly. I have
*never* had a virus or malware on one of my Linux boxes. I have a
laptop that runs Xubuntu 11.10 exclusively and a desktop that runs
Windows/Linux Xubuntu 11.10. I only use Windows to make necessary
updates and run iTunes for my iPod Touch second gen. Soon, I'll be
getting rid of my iPod, as well as Windows to run Linux full time. In
any event, I concur with your conclusion about viruses and malware:
I've never heard of a Linux user having them.

Richard
Using Xubuntu 11.10 64 bits
(aaaaaaand... lllllloving it!)
Location: Canada

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I did say that people will say otherwise. Meaning that it is my opinion. I
> did not state it as fact. I disagree with your position. Quoting Bit
> Defender and other sites like it who have a vested interest or magazines
> that like sensationalism is not proof of anything. Microsoft will tell you
> that Windows is secure.anybody can say what they want, but it does not make
> it true.
>
> I base my OPINION on using Linux for over 10 years almost exclusively. I
> have had a broadband (always on) connection for all of that time. I use the
> internet extensively. I download through bittorrent and usenet. I have three
> browsers open at once most of the time. I get email from Windows users. And
> I have never had  a single problem. That is not proof of anything, but it is
> my experience and the experience of almost every Linux user. In fact, I have
> never met anyone having had a malware or virus issue. I have hundreds of
> followers on on just about every social media site. I have hundreds of RSS
> feeds that I read daily. I listen to just about every Linux podcast there is
> and there are dozens. It is not like I am deaf to what is happening.
>
> There are only a handful of Linux viruses and none in the wild. None has
> been reported for years and none has spread from one user to another.
> Malware is a potential threat, but Linux is sandboxed with userspace and
> root being separate. Any malware would have trouble infecting root unless
> you provide access. There is no case of this happening that I am aware of. I
> am not saying that it can't happen, but it is unlikely. Linux is not perfect
> and users are the weak link, but because of the way it is structured and it
> is hard to infect and even harder to spread, so people who do this sort of
> thing are unlikely to go to the trouble. They pick the low hanging fruit,
> which is not Linux.
>
> I have tried AV software and it is more trouble than it is worth, especially
> considering two things, the lack of threat and the fact that it must be used
> manually to scan incoming files. Anybody suggesting an imminent threat is
> either spreading FUD or has a vested interest, IMO. <--- note
>
> Users can decide for themselves. This is not gospel, just an opinion and I
> worded it that way. I caution users, especially Windows users who are used
> to serious threats, that Linux is different. The level of threat is not the
> same and the lack of resources to combat threats is lacking because of it.
> There are Linux applications for everything. The lack of support for AV and
> malware is not indicative of carelessness nor a shortcoming. It is
> indicative of the lack of need.
>
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada

<Snipped for the sake of brevity>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment