Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] LED monitors etc. (was Re: recommended desktops ?)

 

LED light bulbs are a bit different than the system that they use for
computer
displays but there are very good led light bulbs available from companies
like
CCrane Company that are more costly but don't have the early dimout
problems.

The thing that annoyed me most with CRT displays was the fact that, with
some of them, the vertical refresh rate could not be increased beyone
60Hz to which I was very sensitive. It would give me a headache after
about 30 minutes and I'd have to shut it off for awhile. Same with CRT
TV sets which I had to give up as well as the old flicker-caused headaches
would return even faster! When I had units that I could raise to 85 Hz,
it was no problem just as LCD HD TVs also do not do. But I still don't
own a TV because the vast majority of what is on it is rather sparse
in intellectual stimulation to say the least!

My WIN7 boots up in about 10 seconds but it takes longer for Ubuntu
11 to boot but I suspect that it is because it is a dual boot setup
in the WIN7 system. Am I correct? If I had Ubuntu ONLY on it,
things might be different? I'd like to know what you and other
group members are experiencing in this regard.

And how do you set Linux to single click? I've always preferred
that and set my past Windows OSes to do it for as far back as
I can remember.

Aloha

Kele

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:54 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: recommended desktops ?

LEDs have a long life before they're completely dead but I hear a lot of
folks complaining about the LED light bulbs getting dim pretty quickly. I
just hope the issue doesn't spill over into monitors.

But yeah I laugh when I hear about people that spent all kinds of money on a
"fast" computer and they're squinting at a tiny screen or something trying
to enjoy it. hehe Really when you're looking at a computer about all you're
seeing is the screen!

Look how fast Linux can be made to run on even an old 1GHz P3

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2250/wedoct27bootchart.png

16 seconds is a boot time that Windows weenies could only dream about even
on the fastest of PCs. That machine stock was 21 seconds. My i3 comes up in
5 seconds and a few thousandths stock. Needless to say I didn't even bother
investing any time configuring it to improve its performance any. Though
someday for laughs I just might :)

On that machine I have it set for a single click to launch applications and
things are on the screen before the mouse button is completely released. I
have to say it took a little getting used to.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment