Sunday, October 30, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New features in 11.04

There is a typo in the above. The first line should be then err on the side
of caution.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 30 October 2011 17:13, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:

> If anyone is unsure, the DO err on the side of caution. You are right. As
> you use Linux then you will see what I said about being not worth the
> effort. If I was a good citizen then I would care about spreading viruses
> to Windows users. While I can' t be infected I can still be a carrier. If
> you are conscientious, then this is a serious consideration. I am a bit
> jaded about Windows. I figure that people get what they deserve. That may
> sound harsh, but we need to burn our fingers a few times before we learn to
> avoid fire.
>
> I appreciate your thoughts. It makes me remember how I once felt. It is
> not wrong to feel like protecting others. I just feel the futility of it
> when I know how big the problem is and how little MS cares about users or
> security. Their answer is UEFI (not their invention, just their
> excuse)which is like wrapping Swiss cheese in a zip lock. You can keep
> things out but it is still Swiss cheese inside. Once you open the bag you
> will risk mold and contamination. If they really cared then they would fill
> the ziplock with something more substantial.
>
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/sep/28/windows-8-secure-boot-worry
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 29 October 2011 20:06, G.LinuxDucks <g.linuxducks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Well thanks Roy. I was hoping this did not get taken wrong to be
>> anything other than how it turned out as some civil discussion. I
>> appreciate you taking the time and sharing your extensive experience - a
>> veteran now 10 year user of Linux. Anyone can plainly see you had/have
>> no reason to lie about anything and your long experience is the great
>> value here. You have made many good points. I think your views are most
>> common over all with most Linux users. The only thing different with my
>> view basically I think is being a Windows user an making the decision to
>> err on the side of caution. They call us the windows paranoa spilling
>> over to Linux as a newer user which is not an exaggeration.
>>
>> Very honestly for the heck of it I wish you would try ESET for Linux. It
>> is full free for a 30 day trial to decide to buy or not. With your
>> experience I think you would be much abler to discern what is going on.
>> Honest and honest no lie - it is like it is not even there once
>> installed. (I have tried AVG which left Linux unusable and had to remove
>> it, too bogged down. Stunk on Ubuntu 10.04)
>>
>> But the only reason I suggest this is that ESET for Linux has Real Time
>> Protection (heuristics) and displays stuff like "Blocked Attempts" in
>> real time while browsing. It may or may not strengthen or change your
>> position. I was shocked at seeing real time browsing threats blocked on
>> my Linux. I simply could not believe it. I am a daily user myself and
>> spend no less than an hour daily. All kinds of activities which is why
>> also I mention this.
>>
>> The other thing about Linux antivirus you will find in ESET what you
>> were talking about. ESET is a more quality product. It scans in real
>> time everything you open and close. Everything including email. These
>> are user settings. You can trim it back or nudge it forward into levels
>> of intensity for monitoring in real time all things as well as on demand
>> scans. In other words, because of its quality, is why it wan the VB100
>> Award.
>>
>> I am not trying to change your mind at all ---- just actually my
>> position is to finally know Linux like the back of my hand as I do
>> Windows and security-wise. I can manually find any malware in a Windows
>> machine. I can not yet do that with Linux. To this area only is why I am
>> suggesting you try ESET for Linux and I think you will be very surprised
>> as to what you think is secure. This has been my experience with Linux
>> so far. I have never seen anyone from Linux anywhere call the
>> VirusBulletin Labs liars who have tested and "certified" ESET as 100
>> percent protection against actual real time threats. I mean obviously
>> they could even possibly be up for lible suits etc, but in the least VB
>> is one of the most honest independent testing labs in the world for
>> years on end. If they lied they would be an internet laughing stock in
>> other words. No one has ever talked that way about them. I trust their
>> findings 99.9999 percent acurate.
>>
>> If I wanted to make my point with your view which I do not, I would
>> mention that about VirusBulletin ....
>> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_Bulletin
>> ....my point would be this is what is called "imperical data"
>> indisputable and fact. Anyone saying otherwise would be assumed under a
>> mental condition or ignorant period. In other words in every court of
>> law in the world their findings about ESET and Linux malware would be
>> fact and expert opinion. Any Linux user without this background simply
>> can not state their "opinion" as anything other than that - thoughts or
>> impressions etc. When corrected with these cold facts - it is supposed
>> to educate them to a more truer view of truth. It would be assumed they
>> then would speak the same with a modified or changed or enhanced opinion.
>> The point I am trying to make is you had continually said there are no
>> facts available for Linux malware. Well there most certainly is -
>> indisputable facts that if you did not believe would have to prove in a
>> court of law thay they were lies or incorrect in some manner. am
>> guessing you are not an expert in Linux and malware so that until you
>> were there would be no way your opinion could be accepted as otherwise
>> than simply spreading ignorance and a false sense of comp[uting security
>> endangering other susceptible users. But like I said I am not trying to
>> make this point but would be my smoking gun for anyone denying the
>> malware threat today to Linux.
>> In short this would mean who do you think you are kidding - yourself or
>> others ? You are saying Virus Bulletin Labs are full of poop ? That
>> there is no danger to the average user and they should not then install
>> defense ? Particularly Real Time Protection (heuristics) defense ? Do
>> you even know what Real Time Protection processes are ? blah blah blah....
>>
>> Again, thank you very much for sharing your experiences and are
>> beneficial to myself and to others I am sure that may be reading along.
>>
>> gerald philly pa usa
>> http://linuxducks.webs.com/
>>
>>
>> On 10/29/2011 8:36 AM, Roy wrote:
>> > I did say that people will say otherwise. Meaning that it is my
>> opinion. I
>> > did not state it as fact. I disagree with your position. Quoting Bit
>> > Defender and other sites like it who have a vested interest or magazines
>> > that like sensationalism is not proof of anything. Microsoft will tell
>> you
>> > that Windows is secure.anybody can say what they want, but it does not
>> make
>> > it true.
>> >
>> > I base my OPINION on using Linux for over 10 years almost exclusively. I
>> > have had a broadband (always on) connection for all of that time. I use
>> the
>> > internet extensively. I download through bittorrent and usenet. I have
>> three
>> > browsers open at once most of the time. I get email from Windows users.
>> And
>> > I have never had a single problem. That is not proof of anything, but
>> it is
>> > my experience and the experience of almost every Linux user. In fact, I
>> have
>> > never met anyone having had a malware or virus issue. I have hundreds of
>> > followers on on just about every social media site. I have hundreds of
>> RSS
>> > feeds that I read daily. I listen to just about every Linux podcast
>> there is
>> > and there are dozens. It is not like I am deaf to what is happening.
>> >
>> > There are only a handful of Linux viruses and none in the wild. None has
>> > been reported for years and none has spread from one user to another.
>> > Malware is a potential threat, but Linux is sandboxed with userspace and
>> > root being separate. Any malware would have trouble infecting root
>> unless
>> > you provide access. There is no case of this happening that I am aware
>> of. I
>> > am not saying that it can't happen, but it is unlikely. Linux is not
>> perfect
>> > and users are the weak link, but because of the way it is structured
>> and it
>> > is hard to infect and even harder to spread, so people who do this sort
>> of
>> > thing are unlikely to go to the trouble. They pick the low hanging
>> fruit,
>> > which is not Linux.
>> >
>> > I have tried AV software and it is more trouble than it is worth,
>> especially
>> > considering two things, the lack of threat and the fact that it must be
>> used
>> > manually to scan incoming files. Anybody suggesting an imminent threat
>> is
>> > either spreading FUD or has a vested interest, IMO.<--- note
>> >
>> > Users can decide for themselves. This is not gospel, just an opinion
>> and I
>> > worded it that way. I caution users, especially Windows users who are
>> used
>> > to serious threats, that Linux is different. The level of threat is not
>> the
>> > same and the lack of resources to combat threats is lacking because of
>> it.
>> > There are Linux applications for everything. The lack of support for AV
>> and
>> > malware is not indicative of carelessness nor a shortcoming. It is
>> > indicative of the lack of need.
>> >
>> > Roy
>> > Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
>> > Location: Canada
>> >
>> >
>> > On 28 October 2011 20:42, g.linuxducks<g.linuxducks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> -------------------------CUT----------------------------CUT----------------------------/
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment