Monday, March 17, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 

Hi Ken,

You wrote:
> Getting a large download on a slow connection is the norm ever since downloads became available. Hence download managers. I see several are available both for windows and for linux.

I haven't even tried to get an iso download on my
slowest method (dialup, mostly just for email) LOL.
Getting a download manager is on my list of things
to look into.

> Most websites have long ago abandoned the dialup user. May not be right but it is so.

Yes, I originally thought it was the server at the site
that was to blame. I can see why an advertiser might
feel a time limit on downloads would make sense as
anyone who has no modern way to access the net is
likely to be some "cheap b-----d" who isn't going
to be much of a customer. I realize there are some
localities that don't offer anything better than the
old POTS dialup but statistically that's only a small
part of the prospective customer base. FWIW, my ISP
says they still have about 5000 dialup customers.

However, I see the same thing on sites that are not
commercial so I have come to think the "unplugging"
may be happening at some other level. Doing that
without even an explanatory message, however, is
pretty sneaky. The similar pattern, unplugging
after a time interval, in handling downloads that
need a "long" time is noted.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment