Monday, March 17, 2014

RE: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 

Getting a large download on a slow connection is the norm ever since downloads became available. Hence download managers. I see several are available both for windows and for linux.
Search linux download manager
OR
Search windows download manager.
Most websites have long ago abandoned the dialup user. May not be right but it is so.

-----Original Message-----
From: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Gene C. Falck
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2014 12:00 PM
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

Hi Bart,

You wrote:

> Have you considered asking a friend to do it for you? Also, netbooks
> should have no problem booting to a USB port. I just looked on ebay;
> there are plenty of sellers who will provide a pre-burned Linux Mint
> Cinammon CD or USB Flash drive at very fair prices, like $5-6
> including shipping on optical, or on $10-20 including shipping on a
> USB flash drive (which includes the price of the drive).

If nothing else works, I am aware that a bootable
distro already mounted on a USB drive can be
purchased. That's even better than on CD for my
netbook (which has no optical drive). However,
for the time being, I am very interested in this as
a learning opportunity--this probably isn't the
last time I'll be wanting to install Linux since I
believe I'll need a larger system than any I've had
in the past. My dream setup would really be nice
running on Linux with Windows on a VM to run
a few programs that just can't be done any other
way.

I see my difficulties getting a valid iso download
as part of an overall problem that goes beyond
just this project. Having a download cut off with
no error message also seems to happen, on a
slow connection with regular web browsing--
resuming is often only a nuisance since part of
the site is usually already buffered. When that
fails, I have to switch to a faster method even if
all I wanted was a glance at a link in an email.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo Groups Links

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment