Sunday, March 16, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 



Might i jump i here? I was having the same thing. I found that I couldn't burn a DVD ,unless i used Win 7 to burn a image dvd- After that all was well. de Jerry W8KQ
----- Original Message -----
From: Joan Leach
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 

Maybe if you let us know more about your desktop or laptop, and how you connect to the Internet using LAN or wi-fi. Also what printer you have, since some Distros have better support than others.

If you were in Reno, NV, I'd offer to burn some for you, or invite you to an old fashion install-a-thon, like Linux User Groups use to put on.

Have you searched for info regarding your computer and Linux? Have you researched Distrowatch.com and looked at the screenshots of the various Distros, or looked at the reviews or their Forums? I usually try Zorin, Lubuntu, then some others like Mint. Sometimes it all depends on the various computers and preferences, like some prefer Coke and others Pepsi, etc.

Joan in Reno


From: Gene C. Falck <gfalck@merr.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 
Hi Joan,

You wrote:

Is there a reason why you're not trying Lubuntu that will still fit on a CD?

I'm on a listserv on a different subject with a
person who uses and recommends Linux Mint
with the Mate interface. There is a daunting
pile of possibilities, but I had to pick one to
try. Do you think Linux Mint is a poor choice?

You can always go to Synaptic and add Mate from Meta packages, if you don't care for LXDE.

Of course I'm not there yet.

Do you know how to burn an iso file? I use the free Ashampoo on WinXP.

Well, knowing what software to use is a big
issue. This project is all unfamiliar territory;
not knowing much about the various utilities,
leaves me wondering which ones are OK,
which are junk, and which are even worse
than junk.

I'll keep Ashampoo in mind, but before I can
try it, I will need to have a valid copy of the
iso file on hand.

When I was on my WinXP, I did have problems burning Linux DVDs, but no problem to download them, but then that was years ago.

That seems to be reversed from where I'm at
right now.

If you need any other help, let us know.

I'm sure that's a near certainty.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com






This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment