Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 

I appreciate you Roy, but I hope you don't mind if I correct a couple of dated things you thing are problems 

for Mint.


---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <linuxcanuck@...> wrote :
<snip>
 >There are a couple of problems with choosing Mint. It has no upgrade tool so upgrading 
 > it (which becomes necessary as support runs out) is complicated matter of editing your 
 >sources list as root. 
While I agree with regards to there being no upgrade tool, based on my personal use, I have not found that
upgrade tools are worth the bother because they end up breaking as much as they fix.  What I have always
done when I have to go to a new version of anything from Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu (before they created Unity and screwed the whole thing up), or Mint, I make sure that I have my data backed up then do a fresh install.
There are ways to work that when it comes time.

<snip>
 >The other problem is that Mint is dependent on Ubuntu and Ubuntu is making following them 
 > increasingly a challenge, so at some point Mint will probably be forced to spin off and be in flux. 

One, that is not necessarily  a lock at this point.  Second, Mint would not be in flux.  They have been
producing the Linux Mint Debian Edition since September 2010.  That would be the obvious direction
they would go.  Not flux, direction.

 >All of Mint is also dependent on GNOME which is making as many flaky choices as Ubuntu lately. 
 > Their developers are good, but this will be much extra work and they are spread thinly enough now.
Not true.  As of Cinnamon 2.0, they no longer us Gnome 3 at all.  Mate never did use Gnome 3.

Most of what Roy says can be taken  to the bank.  He just has issues with Mint which is fine.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (22)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment