Friday, March 28, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What next?

 

Hi "G.LinuxDucks,"

You wrote:

> Being just were you are now a couple years ago, newbie novice, my first
> impressions were it seems extra extra technical compared with others. I
> found out how simple things are after learning some of the jargon, names
> of things.

LOL--not simple at first. I have been a Windows
user for quite some time; this stems to a time
when I had school courses in various business
programs and had to have "the genuine article"
to properly handle assignments in the expected
manner. Now I have the same problems at work.

As a windows user the sheer number of needed
and useful utilities is overwhelming. generally
I haven't even needed a download manager in
my Windows experience.

> Just two things I would mention are that you can download any distro you
> want and then you can either burn it to a DVD/CD disc or transfer it to
> a USB Drive (not media stick - drive, same price).

I, along with many others use the terms "drive"
and "stick" without necessarily meaning two
different things, although I see some mentions
that do sound like there is a distinction.

How do you intend that comment? I did try to
google it but the results weren't much help,
except to suggest the USB drive is the usual
"keychain" unit and the USB stick describes
the nearly square unit that stores images in
most digital cameras. Avoiding the "stick"
would make sense in that case, but the use
of "USB" with that item seems strange.

Using your pendrivelinux reference appears
to be a good option since a downloaded iso
must be burned to an optical disk (or must
be mounted on a USB device).

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (39)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment