Sunday, March 30, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What next?

 

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM, <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> I used a SD card in my netbook and it would act as a physical HD. I ran Ubuntu from a 16 GB SD card and it would boot from grub2. The HD came with Windows XP. Unfortunately I lost my netbook. :(

Yeah, I remember being quite disappointed when I found that my old
netbook (Lenovo S-10) couldn't boot from SD. I really liked the idea
of basically having a root FS on SD cards and /home on the HDD so I
could easily swap out OS installations simply by swapping a card...
however, booting anything off of an SD card is slow, even with the
later faster SD type cards.

> As I remember, I just did a custom installation and chose the SD card as the installation drive. I wrote grub to the SD card not the HD, otherwise it messed up the Windows bootloader and you could not use the netbook when the removable media was not being used.

That said, both Ubuntu and #!CrunchBang, which was based on Ubuntu,
worked very well and didn't have issues setting up dual booting of the
native WinXP installation.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (44)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment