Saturday, March 15, 2014

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Downloading Problem

 




---In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, <gfalck@...> wrote :

Hi all,

Let's take this from the very basics. I'm still not
able to download Linux Mint (Mate interface) so
that it completes.

First--being that my surviving Windows computer
that I would like to convert to Linux is on XP, is it
even possible to download? I understand that the
Vista version is limited to 2GB files for downloads
and I assume XP is smaller.

If I can't, in fact, download the .iso file needed, I
need to know that and try something else.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@...

P1 above.  I have in the past had this kind of issue.  I had to replace my ancient router to fix the problem.  And what did I replace it with?  An old computer running ClearOS (a linux distro).  Now I am not at all suggesting you go the way I have but you might look at your router by putting a decent firewall on XP then putting it directly on your internet connection without a router.

P2.  I don't know who told you there was a 2 GB file size limit on Vista because on XP and Vista using FAT32 the max file size is 4 GB.  NTFS is even higher so that is not the issue.  Plus the download you speak of would not be nearly that big.  It is something like 900M or .9 GB.

P3.  Given that you are using valuable bandwidth trying to download it, you could contact me off-line and I will burn you a copy and send to you.  Of course I will test the burn first . . .

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment