Monday, March 17, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading Problem

 

Hi Bart,

You wrote:

> Have you considered asking a friend to do it for you? Also, netbooks
> should have no problem booting to a USB port. I just looked on ebay;
> there are plenty of sellers who will provide a pre-burned Linux Mint
> Cinammon CD or USB Flash drive at very fair prices, like $5-6
> including shipping on optical, or on $10-20 including shipping on a
> USB flash drive (which includes the price of the drive).

If nothing else works, I am aware that a bootable
distro already mounted on a USB drive can be
purchased. That's even better than on CD for my
netbook (which has no optical drive). However,
for the time being, I am very interested in this as
a learning opportunity--this probably isn't the
last time I'll be wanting to install Linux since I
believe I'll need a larger system than any I've had
in the past. My dream setup would really be nice
running on Linux with Windows on a VM to run
a few programs that just can't be done any other
way.

I see my difficulties getting a valid iso download
as part of an overall problem that goes beyond
just this project. Having a download cut off with
no error message also seems to happen, on a
slow connection with regular web browsing--
resuming is often only a nuisance since part of
the site is usually already buffered. When that
fails, I have to switch to a faster method even if
all I wanted was a glance at a link in an email.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment