Sunday, March 16, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Downloading Problem

 


Hi Loyal,

You wrote:

> P1 above. I have in the past had this kind of issue. I had to
> replace my ancient router to fix the problem. And what did I replace
> it with? An old computer running ClearOS (a linux distro). Now I am
> not at all suggesting you go the way I have but you might look at your
> router by putting a decent firewall on XP then putting it directly on
> your internet connection without a router.

My setup is pretty plain and basic--no
router (unless you consider the use of a
MIFI unit to be analogous)

> P2. I don't know who told you there was a 2 GB file size limit on
> Vista because on XP and Vista using FAT32 the max file size is 4 GB.
> NTFS is even higher so that is not the issue. Plus the download you
> speak of would not be nearly that big. It is something like 900M or
> .9 GB.

The mention of a 2GB limit (I've seen it
twice) was a download file size given for
Vista. I don't know why the download
file size limit should differ from a basic
file size max; I also don't know what it
would mean for the earlier XP. You did
give one of the numbers I've hoped to
get; I can do a quick eyeball of a file to
see if there is any chance I got it all.

> P3. Given that you are using valuable bandwidth trying to download
> it, you could contact me off-line and I will burn you a copy and send
> to you. Of course I will test the burn first . . .

I'll keep that kind offer in mind but at
present I'm treating this as a learning
opportunity. The computer may not be
suitable for anything else--it's pretty
old and slow.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment