Sunday, July 13, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 11:40:42PM -0500, 'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>
> Scott, nothing to show for Windows, of course. My
> mention of the sdc drive isn't too important as long
> as I can just click it away. (It doesn't come up most
> of the time anyway so it's an interesting mystery.)
>
> I am now puzzled by the fact that, while I expected
> to find the previous install of 17 on sda, it shows
> as being on sdb.

I used to see that on some older RedHat and Fedora installations, it woudl
call the USB drive sdb. I would just check the size--hopefully, it's
obvious what is what from the size of the drive.

Since I only have one drive in the
> netbook, I'm now wondering whether I should
> highlight the sdb to try to set up my partitions the
> way I'd like to try. Since I see a lot of different
> numbers, I think I should be trying for a root of
> 10 to 30 GB, a swap of 2GB, and the rest assigned
> to /work.

It depends upon a few things. 2GB of swap should be ample. As for /root,
many people separate /root and /home (but why not /work instead, if that's
where you feel you'll be plpacing your files.)

If your larger files are all going to be stored under /work, 30 GB should
be ample for /

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment