Monday, July 14, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:27:42PM -0500, 'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wrote:
>
> >>I am now puzzled by the fact that, while I expected
> >>to find the previous install of 17 on sda, it shows
> >>as being on sdb.
>
> Scott replied:
>
> >>I used to see that on some older RedHat and Fedora installations, it woudl
> >>call the USB drive sdb.
>
> I don't think that's what's happening.

Yeah, I meant to say sda. Apologies.

Sometimes, in my experience, an installer will consider the detachable
drive, especially if it's a USB, sda. I've always been able to just
install to what the installer called sdb--although in RH based
systems,there was an option to switch the BIOS--somewhere around the grub
install screen, there was an option to change BIOS order.
>
> Since I supposedly have a 160 GB hard drive, it certainly
> seems that the numbers are reasonable, that cfdisk calls
> the drive sda, and that the installer is calling it /dev/sdb.

I _think_ but am not sure, as I've not run into that with Mint, that you
can probably install into what it's calling sdb, and that, as grub uses
UUID (a long ID number for a disk partition) it should boot successfully.
I'm not guaranteeing that though.

> >... 2GB of swap should be ample.
>
> That's what I gather from various mentions. There's a
> lot more opinions expressed as to how big partitions
> should be than I find about how to get it done.
>
> >many people separate /root and /home (but why not /work instead, if that's
> >where you feel you'll be plpacing your files.)
>
> I meant to type /home since that's what I usually see

As there is a /home directory created by default, that's good, it means all
files under the usernames will be in /home automatically.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment