Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint (Mate) Version 17

 


On 7/1/2014 1:17 PM, 'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
 

Hi Loyal,

You wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean during the install, when
> you select a specific partition by clicking on it that you cannot do
> anything? That doesn't sound right. You can select a given partition
> by either selecting the graphical representation or from the list below.

I've tried more variations than I can keep any
good track of. By "greyed out" I mean the bit,
common to many software situations where,
when something isn't available the item you
should click is dimmer than it should be and
doesn't respond. The instance that seems to
be blocking me is that the block of +, -, and
Change is dimmed out and not responding.

I believe (so far) that's where I need to be able
to click to get the results.

> If you are saying you click on the name below and you have no options,
> then do the following for us from the terminal. Reply with the results:
>
> df -h
>
> This will let us know what all partitions are mounted when the live
> DVD is running.

I don't think the problem is the highlighting of
the partition name, but I can give the df a try
when I get some time to go back and try again.


Highlighting the partition and doing "df -h" are two different events.  The reason I want to see the "df -h" is in case the live DVD is using a swap partition on the local hard drive.  I can almost certainly get you through it, but we might need to work together at the same time.  If you want to do that, contact me via my email.

I am beginning to think that perhaps my netbook
is just too poor a piece of hardware to adjust my
partition sizes.


I really doubt that.  It may be hard to get through this and it may be slow going, but your netbook should be capable.


I am getting similar results trying
to use GParted (the version I get using apt-get,
but I haven't worked my way through the "live
CD" version download direct from sourceforge
yet.


You should not need the live version of Gparted disk.  There is nothing you can do with the live Gparted that you cannot do with Mint and Gparted retrieved using apt-get.

> Off the top of my head, Gparted would be on the Adminstartion menu.
> However, one of the benefits of the Mint menu is that once you pop up
> the menu, you can type the name of the program you want and it will be
> displayed for you. So click on the menu button then start typing
> gparted until you see it then select that.

I don't appear to have GParted available after an
install until I do the apt-get bit.


If you are talking about after an install, you are correct.  I thought we were talking about doing something DURING the install.  I will try to run through this with my netbook and see what I run into.  I will get back to you.

<snip>


Loyal

__._,_.___

Posted by: Loyal Barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment