Friday, July 25, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

Hi Scott and all,

Scott wrote

> ...Yeah, I meant to say sda. Apologies.
>
> Sometimes, in my experience, an installer will consider the detachable
> drive, especially if it's a USB, sda. I've always been able to just
> install to what the installer called sdb ...

That certainly turned out to be what was happening. I got
an apparently good install by going with the sdb as being
the system on the target computer.

I tried for a root of 30 GB, a swap of 2GB, and the rest of my
160 GB as my home file. That way, at very least, I expect to
be able to quickly do a backup of whatever is unique to my
system. If the old beast lasts long enough, I may be able to
do some future upgrade smoothly.

FWIW, my result appears to run slower than Version 16 with
its default setup; however this is an old machine and it may
have just gotten a little closer to its end.

Thanks for all the help. There were a lot of unexpectedly-
strange-to-me things in this.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

Yahoo Groups
Did you Know?
Dealing with inactive moderators or owners

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment