Saturday, July 5, 2014

rolling updates Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Thunderbird profile migration windows to Fedora 20

 


On 07/04/2014 02:02 PM, 'linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca' linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

Mint used to be just Ubuntu that came out a month later with its own look and a couple of unique utilities. No longer.

Starting in the fall there will be a change. Ubuntu will do a six month release with a new core but Mint will not. It will use the same LTS core for the next three releases of Ubuntu. The separation will grow wider. Ubuntu will migrate to Mir and Mint will use Wayland.

There are other things to consider. You must reinstall to get Mint and then you lose the upgrade tool and must follow Mint's antiquated upgrade process which is basically a fresh installation every release.

Mint is based on Gnome and that means they must follow Gnome's dictates or adapt and Gnome is frustrating a lot of people these days.

Just go forward with your eyes open. This is more complex than it once was and will not get better any time soon. Mint and Ubuntu are growing apart and the gap may not be something the developers can bridge any longer. I think the move away from six month releases indicates they know they can't keep pace and bigger changes are to come.

I would not be surprised for Mint to leave Ubuntu and adopt a rolling release.

Roy

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android


hi,
That is good to know especially since I was looking at Mint since I thought it was basically Cinbutu.
Right not I have both KDE and Cinnamon on my desktop. I know cinnamon is based on Gnome.
s- but coming from a windows background I've normally prefered KDE since the task bar is at the bottom by default.   I know there are ways to change things- but I don't want to mess with it if I can use KDE.
One of the issues that has been unclear to me with KDE and Gnome- is there any real differnce in the two in terms of API's or is the difference purely cosmetic? 
Also what are some distros that do the rolling updates? I believe Arch does it.
-SPM

__._,_.___

Posted by: "S.P. Maiorca" <s.patrick.maiorca@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment