Sunday, July 6, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

Hi Scott,

> I wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've noticed that there is a dev/sdc involved in some of my
>> terminal inquiry results while booted from the Live CD USB
>> and also on a popup that happens (when trying to install)
>> when the preparatory screen that has the "For best results,
>> Please ensure that..." matters. The popup asks whether I
>> want to Unmount partitions that are in use and specifies
>> that /dev/sdc is in question.

You wrote:

> It _sounds_ as if it's either a CD or USB. It would make sense then, that
> you're not able to write to it, but I would think you don't have to unmount
> it.

> I wrote:
>> The terminal command df -h shows a /dev/sdc1 ... on the USB
>> with 6.6G of content I most likely don't want to lose.
>>
>> That "unmounting it" sounds rather drastic (depending on
>> what it is)--is that even an acceptable idea?
>>
>> It also avers that if I leave "them" mounted, I will not be able
>> to create, delete, or resize partitions on "these" disks.

You wrote:

> Again, that makes sense if it's the CD. How many disks are in the
> computer. If you have two disks, then it's almost certainly the CD or USB.

The computer is a Gateway netbook with only one hard drive;
I expect Linux will refer to it as /dev/sda. The deeper I dig, the
stranger this all seems.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment