Sunday, July 13, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

Hi All,

I wrote:

I am now puzzled by the fact that, while I expected  to find the previous install of 17 on sda, it shows  as being on sdb.

Scott replied:

I used to see that on some older RedHat and Fedora installations, it woudl  call the USB drive sdb.

I don't think that's what's happening.

I ran cfdisk on the previous installation (made without
trying to set up partitions so what I got is the installer's
default) and here's what showed up:

                           cfdisk (util-linux 2.20.1)

                              Disk Drive: /dev/sda
                       Size: 160041885696 bytes, 160.0 GB
             Heads: 255   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 19457

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
----- ----- ------- ---------- ---------- -----------


Primary Free Space
1.05*
sda1 Boot Primary ext4 [Partition 1] 158976.71*


Pri/Log Free Space
1.05*
sda5 NC Logical swap
1062.21*


Pri/Log Free Space
0.88*
 
And here's what shows up, when working through the install process, on the "Installation type" screen:

Device Type Mount point Format? Size Used System
/dev/sda





/dev/sdb





   /dev/sdb1 ext4

158976 MB 7076 MB Linux Mint 17 Qiana (17)
   /dev/sdb5 swap

1062 MB 0 MB

Since I supposedly have a 160 GB hard drive, it certainly
seems that the numbers are reasonable, that cfdisk calls
the drive sda, and that the installer is calling it /dev/sdb.

I would just check the size--hopefully, it's  obvious what is what from the size of the drive.

So it seems.

I'm still wondering whether my next step would be to
highlight the sda or the sdb, not knowing whether I
might create a disaster just trying one.

...  2GB of swap should be ample.

That's what I gather from various mentions. There's a
lot more opinions expressed as to how big partitions
should be than I find about how to get it done.

many people separate /root and /home (but why not /work instead, if that's  where you feel you'll be plpacing your files.)

I meant to type /home since that's what I usually see
in many sources.

--

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment