Friday, July 4, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Thunderbird profile migration windows to Fedora 20

 


Mint used to be just Ubuntu that came out a month later with its own look and a couple of unique utilities. No longer.

Starting in the fall there will be a change. Ubuntu will do a six month release with a new core but Mint will not. It will use the same LTS core for the next three releases of Ubuntu. The separation will grow wider. Ubuntu will migrate to Mir and Mint will use Wayland.

There are other things to consider. You must reinstall to get Mint and then you lose the upgrade tool and must follow Mint's antiquated upgrade process which is basically a fresh installation every release.

Mint is based on Gnome and that means they must follow Gnome's dictates or adapt and Gnome is frustrating a lot of people these days.

Just go forward with your eyes open. This is more complex than it once was and will not get better any time soon. Mint and Ubuntu are growing apart and the gap may not be something the developers can bridge any longer. I think the move away from six month releases indicates they know they can't keep pace and bigger changes are to come.

I would not be surprised for Mint to leave Ubuntu and adopt a rolling release.

Roy

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android



From: patrick Maiorca s.patrick.maiorca@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>;
To: <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Thunderbird profile migration windows to Fedora 20
Sent: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 12:49:57 AM

 

I've had good luck with Suse, and Kubuntu just not Fedora.
I'm debating switching to Mint since it is basically Ubuntu with cinnamon 


On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM, 'Gene C. Falck' gfalck@merr.com [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Patrick,



You wrote:

I have a back up of my Thunderbird profile on an FTP server.
I am currently using Fedora 20.
I have been able to just download the profile folder and edit the profile.ini on other Linux distros mainly Suse and Kubuntu.
 but some reason this does not want to work with fedora.
There are only two things I can think of happening with this.
1. something with how Fedora's thunderbird is set up so I need to change some other setting than just change 123.defult to 321.default 
2. there is something wrong with Fedora's filezilla set up so I am missing some files

Hmm--I'm going to be watching this thread. I'm
experimenting with Mint (Mate) 17 on an old
netbook in hopes of learning enough that I can
use Linux in the future. I had WindowsXP on it
and later versions of Windows don't appeal to
me (Windows 8 won't work anyway).

I've progressed through a series of machines
with Thunderbird and my method has been to
put the latest Thunderbird on the new system
and copy the contents of the profile (not the
profile itself because the new Thunderbird is
tied to the name assigned to its profile) from
the old computer to the profile of the new.
Through a series of Windows boxes and this
MacBook Pro the only problem was that the
"Apple Way" is to make the profile a hidden
file.

Someday I'll probably need the "how to" for
Linux.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com




__._,_.___

Posted by: "linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca" <linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment