Monday, July 14, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Another question about Installing Mint 17 Mate

 

Hi Scott,

You wrote:

> Sometimes, in my experience, an installer will consider the detachable
> drive, especially if it's a USB, sda. I've always been able to just
> install to what the installer called sdb--although in RH based
> systems,there was an option to switch the BIOS--somewhere around the grub
> install screen, there was an option to change BIOS order.

I didn't see anything like that zip by but I do have the BIOS
set to look to the USB first on bootup.

> I _think_ but am not sure, as I've not run into that with Mint, that you
> can probably install into what it's calling sdb, and that, as grub uses
> UUID (a long ID number for a disk partition) it should boot successfully.
> I'm not guaranteeing that though.

Well, I'm not any kind of expert but I as a fully qualified
pessimist, I _think_ I can be sure trying to install into sda
will probably fall flat. If the installer is calling its own USB
drive sda, that would wipe out the installer. [background
sound of flushing toilet] The possibility of undoing what I
have accomplished so far is why I'm taking it slow (and
asking questions when something looks strange).

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment