Sunday, February 22, 2015

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: VLC in Mint 17

 

Duly noted. However,the fact is that you do not simply say you just do not know. I respectfully accept that as an answer,simply stated,should you posit it.
 I did not attack your pride or dedication for open source. Please allow me to posit a simpler path I believe to take. I have consistently read that on this forum that
 "most" users do not have this problem,possibly by some mathematically based poll results. I I did not ask merely whether or not anyone on this forum had answers,
but does does does anyone anywhere possible. I`m a newbie. My mind set is not to attack because the answer in not known in a small group,but should you read again my
 report, you may notice the number of computers I tried and the variety of distros. Further,you might have noticed that a simple goggle search reveals problems with
VLC and Youtube in Ubuntu,Zoren,and Mint among others. Yes or no? Wherein is the sarcasm? My stated intention both in clear voice and sotto voce is not complicated.
Should there be no one that can respond with answers on this forum,should suggestions include only cut only cut,try,substitute,screw up,and give up?  >   How about, "I don`t know.
I suggest the following forums to try. You might find answers there. Should you do,let us know".   <  Respectfully sir. No sarcasm implied,written,hinted ,or inferred.
  So,trying as best I can as a simple uneducated,I ask someone to point to sources that may know. I thank you for your imperatives,none of which have kept to the KISS principle.
(Keep It Simple& Substantive). I humbly ask you to reduce bandwidth being used to defend some position or positions that you banner,which I simply do not attack.
 Fact!   VLC and Youtube have issues. Either there are solutions or not. Either you know or not. Are there forums that may know or not.Does anyone on this forum know where I
may look or not? No penalties or ill will from me whether reply is negative or positive. It may well be that I`m in the wrong place looking for those that know,for I know that I do
not know. Should that  be the case,merely suggest a forum better suited for my lack of knowing,which I freely and openly admit.
                                 Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

                                                                I am
                                                                  Newbie diligently searching for solutions,
                                                                            Humbly
                                                                               Cheers
                                                                                  Clan of Henley







                                                                                       
   


 


On Feb 22, 2015, at 6:59 AM, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

 

Sarcasm does not get much help I am afraid. From me or anyone else. Nobody is being paid to help you. Keep that in mind. You glossed over much of what said.

This is a small forum which is neither dedicated to VLC nor Mint. Most users do not have your problem or they would be offering solutions. If you are not being given what you ask then ask elsewhere. I would suggest that you find a forum that is more specific to your needs instead of berating people for not resolving your problem for you.

Roy


On Friday, February 20, 2015 3:53 PM, "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Duly noted. At the risk of being repetitive, should you do a google search,you will find page after page of Youtube problems as well as VLC. Try it.
I ask for no apologies. I ask for solutions. Why do Youtube and VLC videos display with sound and video out of sync,and why work in one of two 
identical AsRocks I`ve tested,and one dell with Dual boot. Other computers I tested thoroughly, constantly failed to display video and You tube
properly as I systematically tried various Ubuntu, Zoren,and Mint flavours. There are no penalties for saying " I don`t know why". I herby so proclaim.
 Should that be your reply also,then I look elsewhere. There are some that say Youtube and VLC work as advertized. I do not doubt them. Three
of my computers do. For the others computers I have, IF there is a WHY that VLC and Youtube do not work,then I want to know WHY and WHAT to do
 to correct.There has to be a better way than cut and paste. Why do want to find solutions? WHY NOT? I applaud your personal pride in how open source
 works.Far be it from me to sully your pride. However, what part of your post actually addresses solutions for problems that do exist. Did I read right past them,
 with none of that  reactive response called frustration? I don`t know the answer. I`ve already said so. I`m searching for those that do know,and I will humbly
 defer to them. Do they exist? I think so.

          
      
                        Cheers
                            Respectfully
                                  Gene Henley
                                    Newbie looking for solutions.
                                                     
On Feb 20, 2015, at 7:53 AM, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

 

GNOME has its own video player as does KDE. It is made specifically to work with that desktop and with Pulse Audio and the video codecs. VLC in contrast does its own thing and ignores the desktop on which it is installed. You will find VLC users in pockets rather than clumped into Ubuntu or Mint etc. So finding users with precisely your problem is harder. That will take time which is why I suggested using something else until you track things down. I sense some frustration on your part. I am not denying the problem exists, just that I cannot duplicate it.

The second part of this is that Mint or Ubuntu cannot resolve the issue because VLC or VideoLan is an independent project from France that is made to work independent of the host desktop. Ubuntu or Mint make it available but it is not bundled with the OS for that reason. In making it available it is tested so see that it installs. Bugs and exceptions still happen but it is up to the user and VideoLan to fix them.

I am not trying to apologise for the way open source works. I am rather proud of it. Users have choice. One of those is to install alternatives. You have chosen to do that with installing VLC. Another choice is to go with the default or to install something different. There are no guarantees that everything will work for everybody in any OS. As a long time computer user I know only too well that different hardware renders different results with different OSes and I have been in your situation of trying to explain a problem to someone who cannot duplicate it on their equipment. It is frustrating and like you I stay with it till I can fix it. Sometimes I can't, but it is satisfying when I can. It is also good to know that I can opt for a different application at no cost should things not work out.

Roy









__._,_.___

Posted by: Gene Henley <mhenley2@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment