Thursday, February 26, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What computer should I buy?

 

I bet you get a lot of replies to this one.    There are may opinions and things to consider. 

I like the Dell brand.   The reason is simple.   Dell comes with excellent diagnostic utilities built-in.   Often, if problems arise, it may be difficult to separate hardware issues from software issues.   With Dell, it is often very easy to spot hardware problems by pressing the f12 keys --- and let the computer spot its own hardware problems.  

By pressing the f12 key when you see the Dell  logo- a dell computer will go into a diagnostic mode.  You can run a variety of diagnostic checks and quickly spot hardware problems.  

Today, I was having a trouble hearing the sound out of an old Dell Dimension 4600.   I pressed f12 and ran a sound diagnostic.  I immediately heard a sound in the speaker.   This eliminated hardware problems and told me to focus on software.    I found the problem  a short time later.

Hope this helps

Justin


From: "ipscone@msdsite.com [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:29 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] What computer should I buy?

 
 
I would like to devote a single computer to Linux only.  Not sure what distribution I'll go with yet.  But my first problem is what hardware should I buy to use as my Linux station.
 
I do NOT want to build from scratch.
I do NOT want to pay a small forturne for the best PC out there.
I DO want a PC that works well as a Linux workstation.
I DOUBT I will do much graphics and such and definitely won't be doing gaming or other CPU demanding work.
I WILL likely be using other programs that deal with audio processing.
I plan to use this workstation mostly for learning Linux.
I would prefer to buy something locally, at Best Buy, Frys, etc, rather than online.
Whatever I buy should be ready to go.  I don't want to have to start removing and adding anything (hardware wise).
 
These area bout the only requirements I have at the moment.
 
Suggestions on a computer?


__._,_.___

Posted by: Justin Bell <justin_e_bell2000@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment