Thursday, February 26, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] What computer should I buy?

 

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 09:29:42AM -0800, ipscone@msdsite.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> I would like to devote a single computer to Linux only. Not sure what distribution I'll go with yet. But my first problem is what hardware should I buy to use as my Linux station.
>
> I do NOT want to build from scratch.
> I do NOT want to pay a small forturne for the best PC out there.
> I DO want a PC that works well as a Linux workstation.
> I DOUBT I will do much graphics and such and definitely won't be doing gaming or other CPU demanding work.
> I WILL likely be using other programs that deal with audio processing.
> I plan to use this workstation mostly for learning Linux.
> I would prefer to buy something locally, at Best Buy, Frys, etc, rather than online.
> Whatever I buy should be ready to go. I don't want to have to start removing and adding anything (hardware wise).
>
These days, Linux will work on most machines out of the box.
Sometimes--depending upon the salesman--they'll let you boot from a liveCD
or USB to test it. It depends and one can't fault them for saying no, they
have no idea that you don't have some horrible software on said CD or USB.

I've found the Acers to usually be usable with Linux. Really new things
might have issues. Actually, even if you can't boot it with a live CD, you
should be able to tell, from the Windows screen, what sort of network,
wireless, and video card it's using, write that down, go home and google
how it works with Linux.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment