Sunday, February 22, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: VLC in Mint 17

 

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 08:19:59AM -0500, Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Duly noted. However,the fact is that you do not simply say you just do not know. I respectfully accept that as an answer,simply stated,should you posit it.

> Should there be no one that can respond with answers on this forum,should suggestions include only cut only cut,try,substitute,screw up,and give up? > How about, "I don`t know.

I'd say that if someone knew, you'd have gotten an answer already. As I've
already said, (I think), I don't know.

I've lost track of this thread, I fear, as in my email client, mutt, the
thread is very hard to follow.

So, as I've lost track of things, if Mint is the issue, their forums might
be helpful. If Ubuntu is the issue, _their_ forums might be helpful.

Personally, I don't feel Linux (or FreeBSD or anything else) needs excuses.
Some stuff works better in Windows or Mac.

It seems you're looking for a turnkey solution. I don't know if one exists
yet.

I will say that judging from calls from family and friends that I get,
Windows and Mac have their issues too. (At work, I do see some server
issues, but generally specialize in FreeBSD and Linux). From what I
understand, out of several machines, VLC doesn't work on one. I'd just try
smplayer and if that doesn't work, use the old Windows philosophy,
reinstall, and see if that fixes it. Note that I haven't paid close
attention to the thread--that's not meant to be insulting, as this list
doesn't have any posting rules, but being a selfish and busy person, if
it's not posted in a way that's easy for me to follow, I may not read it.

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

talk about traditional proper posting style--most people these days ignore
it, but again, I'm selfish and busy.

So, if I haven't missed anything, the best place to ask about either of
those (Ubuntu or Mint, including VLC problems) is probably on their forum.
If it's a complaint, well this doesn't work in Linux, I've answered that
earlier in the thread, I don't know if it would work out of the box for
most people--the only non-tech I ever set it up for is my wife and I was
there to answer questions and fix things--just like I am on her Mac, which
is also not trouble free. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment