Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Re: : [LINUX_Newbies] VLC in Mint 17

 

Apple gets away with it because they give you the tools to install and dual boot. Microsoft and Android doesn't. You can not dual boot from Android or Microsoft since Microsoft started using secure boot. Android just will not let you dual boot.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Windows 10 will be like Android in the respect that it will make users dependent on MS, just as Android makes users dependent on Google. Note that Google is being investigated in Russia for antitrust violation by bundling its apps with Android. That is interesting because Apple does the same and does not even allow users to change default apps which Android does do. Now that MS is going down this road it may usher in an age of antitrust investigations. Time will tell.

For Linux users we have used this mode of getting apps for a couple of decades. It does have its benefits in allowing users to download and install centrally from secure repos. No hunting and no worries about security. The Windows model is profit based and this opens users up to being vulnerable to paying through the nose for smaller annual subscriptions. Death by a thousand cuts.

Roy


On Monday, February 23, 2015 8:19 AM, "'Gerald Bishop' gsbishop@charter.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

??? I have Win 10- Nothing in it ,unless you go to the store,like Android !! W8KQ
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 6:26 AM
Subject: Re: : [LINUX_Newbies] VLC in Mint 17

 
We can agree on your thoughts on Linux. I can see some cracks in the hold that MS and Apple have on the industry. The fact that MS is giving free upgrades to Windows 10 for the first time is a shift. They are still the same but have shifted focus from the OS to services and apps that they can profit from. The problem is that free only addresses cost. It is not truly free because the OS belongs to MS and the user just pays to use it. Your computer needs an OS and if they have their hooks in you then they control you and how you use your computer. We'll see if people grasp that part of free.

I admire tenacity in trying to resolve a vexing problem. 

Roy


On Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:31 PM, "Gene Henley mhenley2@verizon.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Duly noted.  

 I must make a small correction. Were I frustrated, I`d not keep trying.
I do not do worry. I do concern.Were I not patient(Much ,too much, some have told me),
I would have bid good by and God bless already. Some say that my focused mindset
to find solutions ,obsessive. I do not dignify these opinions with response.
 I`m neither. What I profess and confess is is that this genius who made Linux gets my respect. 
 Linux is a welcome alternative to the evil empire of Microsoft,and goes well as 
an alternate to work with Mac`s. I have four Mac`s. Except for the past problems with power 
supply el cheepo capacitors, I have had exceptional reliability of operation. I `m not a Newbie 
in computer repair. I can repair many that do not operate well. That is because I was not in a 
business. I did it because I just wanted to. In business, one must know much more 
about operation than what I call the hammer and anvil repair. Business is profit,cost, volume of
product to customer,etc. So, in the long run, I think conversion of XP boxes to Linux rather than
anything Microsoft  ,will reduce the CODB(Cost Of Doing Business) . I do not have the luxury 
of frustration or anger(Except righteous). Being cool,calm and collected could  be called not caring.
I call it the discipline to control reactive responses. But, I still want a solution for a problem reasoned
 to be important enough to achieve my goals. That solution may never be had. Maybe. Maybe it 
expends an inordinate amount of time and energy. Maybe. I make judgement calls while knowing
 that I may not know enough. Comes with being imperfect. It so happens that VLC and Youtube 
presentations are an integral part of my interaction with  clients. I don`t do it out of boredom.
 I appreciate your trying. That`s exactly what do. I try. Is there a better way? I`m a good listener.
  I`m also very set in finding solutions that I reason I need.              And a faithful Linux user. 
    Let`s keep this forum active.
          Cheers
            Newbie temp.
                      Gene Henley                 www.thinkgene.stemtechbiz.com
      PS. You are NOT a retired teacher. You are sill doing it!      I call it mentoring.
                                                          


On Feb 22, 2015, at 3:16 PM, Linux Canuck linuxcanuck@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:

 

You are clearly frustrated and we know that you would like a solution. I am sure that there are many qualified people here who would have helped you if they could have. We all have tried to understand the problem and posted what we thought would be helpful solutions. None has worked, regretfully. 

Often times in these discussions we can only see what users give us which is often not the complete picture that you see. We also have different skill and experience levels so what I say and what someone else says may be very different. This can result in the user going on wild goose chases through no one's fault or intention. This can be a source of frustration as it leads to tangents and wasting time. It is the same experience if you use Google. Lots of solutions but which one to use and much information is stale dated. 

One of the things that I try to do in this community is to educate new users (retired teacher, go figure) on how things work and why things are the way they are. Lots come to Linux with misconceptions (not suggesting you, but generically). Once users understand the hows and whys they can get a better appreciation of Linux as an operating system and how it is put together. That sometimes reveals a solution or points us in a direction. Sometimes not. Another thing that I keep in mind is that this is an open forum. In writing to you I am writing to others who may have a similar problem or have been previously silent and now they feel they can add their voice. So in mentioning other video players that may not help you but it may help another person.

My suggestion is that you remain patient and try other sites and options available to you. There are alternatives. You of course are free to hold out for a solution to VLC. However, that make take time and in rare cases a solution does not come at all or it becomes moot as a new version or new kernel may be released which magically resolves the situation. Just know that it is a fluid situation. VLC makes changes continually. Youtube does too (now runs html5 by default). Kernel developers are hard at work releasing a new version every month. Distros are working too to make things better. I mention this so that you know that it is not a static situation that you are in, not to anger you or explain it away.

I wish you well in resolving it. If I see anything I will be sure to post it, as I am sure others will, too.

Roy 







This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com




__._,_.___

Posted by: david poston <dvdposton@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (31)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment