Sunday, February 22, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] LINUX_Newbies] Re: VLC in Mint 17

 

   Scott, I try so very hard to KEEP IT SIMPLE if I can. I deleted most of your post so that I can get the reality.

   I saved  two paragraphs,because they are very pertinent to what I want to know.
     1. You stated that FreeBSD works for you. I don`t doubt that at all. In fact,you do not make much use of Mint,Ubuntu,or 
      VLC. You state mplayer works. I`m not adverse to trying it,but first I ask whether it is a video player. Another
     question I ask is what should I know about Pulse Audio and Flash? What,if any,effect could these apps have
      on video and audio rendering?        I intend to check FreeBSD. You are an IT.  I defer to you.


      2. Your second paragraph is a sad reading. I think Linux is very valuable to the world of computing.
           Some polls say that only about three percent of desktops have Linux. Which is also sad.
           I also think that the more we try to solve the unusual with the usual,will we increase this
           usage. I`ve read about the out of box laptops and desktops. I don`t know enough yet to
          intelligently comment. 
        

               Here is my point. I want to use only two OS in my home business.
            a. Mac OSX  b. Linux                   Phase out all XP Dell XP OS, and have one with Windows 7
         temporarily. I have Ubuntu 14.10 in two  AsRock 32 bit, 3.0 gig duo,2gig memory computers.
          One can do no wrong in every thing I want. It`s twin will not display VLC of Youtube no matter
          how try. In my five Dells,one works fine with Ubuntu 14.10,but it has double boot with XP.     EEK!
           The other Dells will not work with  any distro to properly display video/sound sync.
           To have a Newbie PITA come aboard with these problems is not what I would think
           an IT,possibly corporate,would find in his networks. So why be concerned?
           I get it,but you are the first that you have a SPECIFIC app that works for you.
            So, what is FreeBSD? Is it used more in larger corporate networks,of in the smaller 
          home or business?
             I`ll sideline the VLC/Youtube problems for a time,and try something that works for
           someone else. Does any of this make sense? 
                                        Cheers  
                                        Gene H
                                        Newbie
                                         
   
 







Well, this particular issue, I don't know--again, not following thread but
I've offered you suggestions. Speaking, only for myself, i can't really
help, I don't make much use of Mint, Ubuntu, or VLC, but if you use
FreeBSD, I know that mplayer works on it.





However, this isn't a really active forum anymore--this, and another one,
simply called Linux, had their heyday in the early double-oughts.


--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6


__._,_.___

Posted by: Gene Henley <mhenley2@verizon.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment