Friday, April 17, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Install Problem

 

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 06:42:39PM +0000, Rick W ve7tk@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> I have Linux Mint installed successfully on my laptop and my wife's desktop. Linux is new to me BUT I have been VERY impressed. So I have decided to build up another desktop for my office. Unfortunately I am having significant problems with the install.
> The hardware is a Foxconn 946GZ7MA motherboard with Intel E6300 Core 2 Duo CPU, built in sound, video and network.  All peripherals have been disconnected with the exception of video, mouse, keyboard and network. 
> The install of Linux Mint 17.1 hangs.  Most of the time it hangs with a dark screen and a frozen mouse icon in or near the centre. On rare occasions it gets to the live desktop where I can click the install icon and then it hangs. I have left it for 30+ minutes and nothing happens.
> Here's what I have tried:
> - Loaded a new download of the 32-bit Mint 17.1 ISO
>

What kind of video card?
Have you removed secure boot in the BIOS.
Does it work with a live CD?
Have you tried installing anything else instead of Linux Mint--sometimes,
Fedora, for example, might install when Mint fails. Even if you don't want
Fedora, it is one way to see if the problem is hardware or software.

>
> - Swapped out and replace memory chips
> - Used a different (external) DVD drive
> - Replaced the SATA HDD
> - Run the setup using PAE Forced
> - Modified the start with .... "quiet splash nomodesep --"
> - Finally tried to install latest Ubuntu 
> In all the above the installation continues to hang.
> Any thoughts on how to solve/work around this problem would be appreciated.

See above. :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment