Friday, April 17, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Install Problem

 

Thanks for the link.

One of the first problems listed suggested turning off the APIC Mode.  I have done this and Mint installed.  

Unfortunately (yes it's a good news - bad news story) it seems to be VERY slow. It seemed to install at last but it stalls when trying to update the installer! And Firefox takes forever to find any page!

I think I'll take the suggestion of trying another flavour of Linux and see how that works.

Thanks to all for the help.

Rick




From: "Joan Leach jleach728@sbcglobal.net [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: "LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Install Problem

 

I might try a PcLinuxOS Linux CD/DVD, since those based on Ubuntu may have problems with some hardware...I either fallback to 12.04.02 LTS or wait for 16.04 LTS.

Joan in Reno




From: "Rick W ve7tk@yahoo.ca [LINUX_Newbies]" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 11:42 AM
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Install Problem

 
I have Linux Mint installed successfully on my laptop and my wife's desktop. Linux is new to me BUT I have been VERY impressed. So I have decided to build up another desktop for my office. Unfortunately I am having significant problems with the install.

The hardware is a Foxconn 946GZ7MA motherboard with Intel E6300 Core 2 Duo CPU, built in sound, video and network.  All peripherals have been disconnected with the exception of video, mouse, keyboard and network. 

The install of Linux Mint 17.1 hangs.  Most of the time it hangs with a dark screen and a frozen mouse icon in or near the centre. On rare occasions it gets to the live desktop where I can click the install icon and then it hangs. I have left it for 30+ minutes and nothing happens.

Here's what I have tried:
  1. Loaded a new download of the 32-bit Mint 17.1 ISO
  2. Swapped out and replace memory chips
  3. Used a different (external) DVD drive
  4. Replaced the SATA HDD
  5. Run the setup using PAE Forced
  6. Modified the start with .... "quiet splash nomodesep --"
  7. Finally tried to install latest Ubuntu 
In all the above the installation continues to hang.

Any thoughts on how to solve/work around this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick






__._,_.___

Posted by: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment